What is this sticky stuff in my underwear?
- You may notice a sticky fluid that is clear, white, or even yellowish in your underwear.
- This fluid is called mucus or discharge. It is how your vagina* cleans itself.
- Vaginal discharge is normal but if the amount, colour, consistency, or smell changes in a way that isn’t usual for you, let your health care provider know.
- It’s always a good idea to become familiar with your changing body so you know when there may be a problem.
What is douching and should I do it?
- The word “douche” means to wash or soak in French. Douching is washing or cleaning out the vagina with water or other mixtures of fluids
- Most health care providers do not recommend douching because it can change the delicate balance of vaginal flora (organisms that live in the vagina) and acidity in a healthy vagina.
What other changes can I expect?
- During puberty, your body may become curvier, especially around the hips, butt and thighs. These are totally normal changes! It’s also normal if these changes don’t happen for you.
- Your emotions might change quickly at times.
- You may start to develop sexually and discover the who, what, when and how of attraction.
- You may also start to experience wet dreams, sexually charged dreams which may cause your vagina to discharge lubricating fluid.